Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Power of Networking

Recently, I attended a networking event and I have to say that I very much enjoyed myself. I've only attended a couple of these networking events in the past few months and just now realized how important they are. Being somewhat of an introvert, I find myself much more comfortable at home or meeting people one-on-one. Hob-nobbing with the locals has not been my strongest skill. But why should extroverts have all the fun?

Small business owners need to understand and harness the power of networking. Actually, I like to think of it as more netweaving. Yes, you are trying to increase your sales. But, it is important to build a relationship first. Your clients need to know that you can be trusted. I'd suggest going around to a few different types of organizations in your area to see what best fits you. Instead of the usual chamber of commerce, how about small & home business networks, neighborhood clubs, women or minority focused networks, and trade specific networks. If you live in a mid-sized to large city there may be more than one of these in your city.

For networking tips check out this book: Why Should Extroverts Make All The Money?: Networking Made Easy for the Introvert, by Frederica Balzano.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff to know

Black Domestic Goddess said...

Ah, that is my personal downfall. I so hate chatting folks up and making connections. Well, not like I hate it, but I would rather not do it - I'm more of a behind the scenes person. Either way, I will certainly check out this book for some tips. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

Ricky said...

Great post!
Great networkers make great leaders because they have unlocked the potential of networking in their busy lives. They have created simple systems that enable them to connect with others, stay connected and create valuable lifetime connections with key players, spheres of influence and other master networkers.
Looking get more ideas or information then click here