Thursday, August 23, 2007

Backing Up Data

I don't know about you but I HATE when I loose things. I can settle for losing or misplacing my keys, mail, phone numbers, my mind( just kidding) but I can't stand it when I work on something for days, weeks or even months and in a flash everything disappears. I have yet to experience MAJOR losses on my computer, but I did have a mini one a few weeks ago. I was working on a newsletter for a private school and after several hours I decided to take a break. Over the years I've got into a habit of saving files every 30 minutes or so. Well, this particular day (must have been a full moon) I decided I was done for the time being and closed my laptop. When the next morning came I opened it up only to find that ALL the work I had done the previous day was gone! I could not believe it, so long story short- back up your work.

A few companies I would suggest for you to use would be Carbonite ( www.carbonite.com) Rebit ( www.rebit.com). Yes, a good backup system may set you back a couple hundred dollars. But, I'd rather spend $200 on a backup system than loose everything I've worked on.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for mentioning Carbonite. Lest your readers be scared off by your $200 number, you might mention that Carbonite is only $50 for a year with unlimited capacity. It's also completely automatic -- rather than backing up every 30 minutes, Carbonite works continuously, as long as you're connected to the Internet.

Dave Friend
CEO,

Black Domestic Goddess said...

Windows XP has free backup under the system tools folder on the start menu. You can use CDs, DVDs, a thumb drive or a book drive. Free!